Saturday, January 2, 2010

Ease yourself into the new year!

Happy new year! We spent a quiet new year's eve this year at home with the kids tucked up in bed sound asleep. I confess that I, too, was snoozing well before midnight. At almost 30 weeks pregnant, I'm trying to bank up as much extra sleep as I can before baby number 3 comes along in March. (I don't think this is a scientifically proven system, but it feels so good!)

I started the year as I mean to go on in more ways than one. I enjoyed a prenatal massage today at Inner Balance Spa in Kensington. It was a relaxing way to spend an hour safe in the knowledge that it was also doing my achy lower back some good. My therapist was Margaret -- an experienced prenatal practitioner. I've had many massages, but this was the first time I'd experienced an abdominal massage. She also showed me a couple of simple stretches to do at home that will help relieve lower back tension.

Massages aren't just for pregnany mummies of course. If you're a Calgarian or just visiting the city for a few days, I recommend carving out some "me-time" for a visit with an RMT. There's no better treatment for the stiff back that comes from sitting on an airplane for long periods, carrying big babies around, or just generally being run ragged all day long. An hour will cost around $80.

There are many great spas in Calgary. I recommend Inner Balance close to the Kensington Safeway and Prema Sai. Check out their web sites for more info.